The CCP Handbook: Comprehensive Community Planning for First Nations in British Columbia is a reference tool developed by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada in partnership with First Nations to support First Nations in developing and implementing their own community plans. The Handbook breaks down comprehensive community planning into manageable stages for BC communities ready to tackle the planning process.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
You will find step-by-step descriptions of the entire process, and read about lessons learned by BC First Nations who have tested various approaches to community planning. The Handbook includes practical tools to encourage community involvement and develop the plan based on community vision and goals. The final section includes funding, educational and planning resources to support the development and implementation of your community's plan.
An Overview of the Planning Cycle
There are many models and ways to approach comprehensive community planning. Most follow a planning cycle similar to the 4-step planning cycle described below.
PRE-PLANNING - Getting Started
- Assess Community Readiness
- Develop a Budget, Identify Funding
- Build a Planning Team
- Build a Workplan
Planning process established
PLANNING - Creating the Plan
- Gather Background Information
- Complete Community Analysis
- Create Vision Statement and Values
- Build a Comprehensive Strategic Framework
- Set Goals and Objectives
- Identify Activities and Projects
- Create an Implementation Strategy
Detailed implementation plan
IMPLEMENTATION - Making it happen
- Prioritize Actions (Policies, Programs and Projects)
- Identify Project Management Team
- Obtain Necessary Approvals and Establish Good Communications and Reporting Plans
- Identify Potential Partners to Support the Project
- Identify Funding and Other Resources
- Create Work Plans, Budgets, Feasibility Studies and Business Plans
- Project Management
- Learn Lessons, Develop Best Practices and Celebrate Successes
- Maximize Community Training, Mentorship, Capacity Building and Employment
Plan becomes a reality
MONITORING & EVALUATION - Are we making progress?
- Analyze Results
- Review and Recommend
- Revise and Update
- Share and Celebrate Your Community's Accomplishments
Plan is kept alive and relevant
For a copy of the CCP Handbook please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is the second edition of the CCP Handbook, and we welcome your feedback – please send your comments and suggestions to email@example.com.
Thank you for your feedback