Post-Secondary Partnerships Program
This program funds First Nations-established post-secondary institutions and community-based institutions.
COVID-19: Funding for students
The Government of Canada will provide an additional $75.2 million to First support Nations, Inuit and Métis Nation post-secondary students impacted by COVID-19.
- First Nations students should contact their band council office or the organization that administers the Post-Secondary Student Support Program
Respecting the principle of First Nations control of First Nations education, Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) provides funding to the Post-Secondary Partnerships Program to support First Nations-established post-secondary education institutions and First Nations-directed community-based programming. This change supports First Nations in defining their own partnerships with educational institutions to increase the availability of post-secondary education programs tailored to First Nations' cultural and educational needs.
In fiscal year 2018 to 2019, selected projects from a call for proposals were funded for a two-year period until March 31, 2020. As a result, Indigenous Services Canada will not be issuing a new call for proposals in 2019-2020. These projects will not be affected by this program change.
About the program
This program aims to increase the number of First Nations students pursuing post-secondary education and contribute to closing the education attainment gap between First Nations and non-Indigenous students.
The program is First Nations-directed and regionally delivered, and supports First Nations-established post-secondary education institutions and First Nations-directed community-based programming.
Funding allocations are determined by a two-step process:
- regional allocations are made based on First Nations population distribution
- First Nations-designated and directed organizations in each region will work with ISC in the allocation of funds according to program guidelines
Eligible expenditures only include actual costs directly associated with designing and delivering the program for First Nations and First Nations established post-secondary education institutions.
Capital and maintenance expenses are not eligible.
Who can apply?
- Band councils of recognized First Nations bands
- Organizations designated by band councils: bands or settlements, tribal councils, education organizations, political treaty or organizations engaged by or on behalf of First Nations and First Nations established post-secondary institutions
- The First Nations University of Canada
The last call for proposals for fiscal year 2018 to 2019 was for two-year projects and is now closed. The deadline to submit a proposal was February 23, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. eastern time.
How to apply?
Contact your regional office.
Approved projects for 2018 to 2019
Find the list of selected projects in 2018 to 2019.
Previously selected projects
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2017 to 2018
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2016 to 2017
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2015 to 2016
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2014 to 2015
- List of Successful Indian Studies Support Program (ISSP) proposals for 2013 to 2014