Post-Secondary Partnerships Program
Find out about funding for eligible Canadian post-secondary institutions to design and deliver university and college-level courses tailored for First Nations and eligible Inuit students.
In 2018-2019, the selected projects from the call for proposals were funded for a two-year period running through 2019-2020. As a result, Indigenous Services Canada will not be issuing a new call for proposals in 2019-2020. We are working with our Indigenous partners to transform this program to better meet the needs of First Nations and Inuit students.
About the program
This program is a competitive, proposal-driven process based on merit and focused on meeting labour market needs. It supports projects that deliver a program of study or develop new courses and programs tailored for First Nations and Inuit students.
Priority is given to project proposals that:
- focus on the labour market, with specific outcomes and objectives
- lead to high-demand jobs in the Canadian economy or within First Nations or Inuit communities (such as governance)
- respond to the educational needs of First Nations and Inuit students
- use innovative and efficient delivery methods to increase the availability of education in remote communities
- have a plan towards financial self-sustainability
- contain short duration, undergraduate level courses
- include funding partners with a firm commitment to monetary participation
Proposals are reviewed by regional selection committees and assessed against these criteria. Recommendations from each region are validated by the national selection committee. Funding is provided through contribution agreements ranging from one to two years. The courses developed by institutions, through this funding, are open to all students, including Métis.
Eligible expenditures only include actual costs directly associated with designing and delivering programming. Capital expenses are not eligible.
Who can apply?
Canadian post-secondary institutions and post-secondary education institutions affiliated with or operating in a formal partnership with a degree, diploma or certificate granting institution recognized by a province or territory can apply. In Quebec only, First Nations and their organizations, in partnership with eligible post-secondary institutions, are eligible recipients. In other provinces and territories, First Nations post-secondary institutions are encouraged to develop partnerships with eligible post-secondary institutions to enable them to access this funding and take advantage of best practices.
The 2018-2019 call for proposals is now closed. The deadline to submit a proposal was February 23, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. There will not be a call for proposals for 2019-2020 as the program published a call for two year project proposals in 2018-2019.
How to apply?
Review the 2018-2019 national guidelines and contact your Indigenous Services Canada regional office to get a proposal template.
Approved projects for 2018-2019
Find the list of selected projects in 2018-2019.
Previously selected projects
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2017-2018
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2016-2017
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2015-2016
- Post-secondary Partnerships Program: Selected projects 2014-2015
- List of Successful Indian Studies Support Program (ISSP) proposals for 2013-2014