Housing Support Program (HSP) in British Columbia
Indigenous Services Canada's (ISC's) Housing Support Program (HSP), formerly known as New Approach for Housing Support (NAHS) Program, supports First Nations in British Columbia to better and more effectively leverage funding, develop housing plans and policies and manage housing in their communities.
On this page
About the program
ISC BC Region's Housing Support Program provides a range of eligible activities for First Nations applying for housing funds. This includes training, capacity building, renovations and new home construction on-reserve.
There are 2 separate HSP applications. First Nation applicants complete the relevant application(s) which support the housing priorities in their community:
- Governance and Capacity Application – Supports the creation of housing policies and plans, as well as training and capacity development.
- Housing Support Program Application – Provides a subsidy towards new home construction or purchase, regular and health and safety renovations and is inclusive of building inspection costs. Also provides a flat rate towards the construction of multi-unit (3 or more units) residential homes, which includes site preparation, building inspection costs and project management costs.
Who can apply
- First Nations
- First Nation councils
- tribal councils
- authorized band-housing authorities
- block-funded First Nations although eligibility is subject to ISC BC Region's Access to Additional Capital Guidelines for Block-Funded Recipients
- self-government and treaty First Nations although eligibility is subject to the terms of their fiscal financial agreements
There is no deadline to submit an application. They can be submitted throughout the year. However, First Nations must include their planned housing projects in their annual First Nations Infrastructure Investment Plan submissions.
How to apply
Please contact the ISC BC regional office at 1-800-567-9604 or 604-775-5100 and ask to speak to the Housing Officer assigned to your community. They will provide you with the appropriate application templates and answer any questions you may have about this program.
Thank you for your feedback