First Nations Waste Management Initiative
Find out about funding available for solid waste management projects on reserve.
On this page
About the program
This initiative provides support to First Nations to develop sustainable waste management systems through modern infrastructure, operations, training and partnerships.
Funding is available for a range of waste management activities, such as:
- waste management agreements with municipalities and service providers (municipal-type agreements)
- construction of transfer stations
- construction of engineered landfills in remote and isolated communities
- waste reduction and diversion initiatives such as recycling, composting and hazardous waste management programs
- waste operator training
- waste awareness and education programming
- landfill management and closing of refuse sites
- development of waste management plans and feasibility studies
Who can apply
- First Nations
- Tribal Councils
- First Nations technical service organizations
- Related not-for-profit organizations (excluding charities)
- Eligible collaborative organizations operating on behalf of First Nations
For a full list of eligible recipients, contact your regional office.
There is no application deadline. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
How to apply
First Nations should ensure that their waste infrastructure needs are described in their First Nations Infrastructure Investment Plan.
In addition, you can contact the regional office in your area for more information.
Thank you for your feedback