Indigenous Services Canada: The path forward
As a new department, Indigenous Services Canada will move forward:
- in partnership with Indigenous peoples
- recognizing the rights of Indigenous peoples
- recognizing distinctions between and among First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Nation
It was created to:
- improve quality of life of First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- support high-quality services for Indigenous peoples
- facilitate the path to self-determination in all sectors
When self-determination is a reality for all, this department will no longer need to exist.
The overarching vision of Indigenous Services Canada is to support the self-determination of Indigenous peoples who should control service delivery for their own people. Improved quality of life for Indigenous peoples is key to a better Canada for all.