Investing in school facilities
Budget 2016 provided $969.4 million over 5 years for First Nations school facilities, in addition to $500 million remaining from Budget 2014.
These investments will create quality learning environments that are safe and healthy and will help to achieve positive educational outcomes for First Nations students living on reserves.
As of September 30, 2019, more than $675.3 million of targeted funds has been invested to support school facility projects.
Progress since November 2015
As of September 30, 2019:
Ongoing and completed projects include:
- 57 projects resulting in the construction of 57 new schools
- 82 projects resulting in the renovation or upgrade of 78 existing schools
- 1 feasibility study
- 9 supporting projects and initiatives
- Frog Lake First Nation celebrates sod turning for new high school
- Elsipogtog First Nation to benefit from new school, water system upgrades and other infrastructure and economic development projects
- Grand opening of expanded nursing station and funding support for education facilities in Kasabonika Lake First Nation