Progress on investments in kindergarten to grade 12 education
In 2016, the Government of Canada announced an unprecedented $2.6 billion over 5 years, beyond existing funding, to improve elementary and secondary education on reserve. These investments support First Nations control of First Nations education and are helping to ensure that students living on reserve receive a quality education.
Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) provides funding to First Nations for eligible students who are:
- Age 4 and above or the age range for elementary and secondary education support in the province of residence
- ordinarily live on reserve
- enrolled in and attending an eligible elementary or secondary program
In fiscal year 2020 to 2021, about $2.3 billion was provided for core elementary and education program funding through the Elementary and Secondary Education Program.
In 2021, the Government of Canada announced over $1.7 billion over 5 years, beyond existing funding, to improve education on reserve. These investments support First Nations control of First Nations education and are helping to ensure that students living on reserve receive a quality education.
New investments from Budget 2021 include:
- $112 million to extend COVID-19 support so children on reserve can continue to attend school safely. This includes:
- personal protective equipment for students and staff
- laptops to support online learning
- more teachers and other critical staff
- $726 million over 5 years and $188 million ongoing to:
- refine funding formulas in critical areas such as student transportation
- ensure funding for First Nations schools remains predictable from year to year
- increase First Nations control over First Nations education by developing and concluding more regional education agreements
- $515 million over 5 years and $112 million ongoing to support before-and after-school programming for First Nations children on reserve
- $350 million over 5 years to expand access to adult education by supporting First Nations people on reserve to complete their high school education
Thank you for your feedback