Non-insured health benefit claims
- Many health benefit providers are enrolled with NIHB and paid directly by the program for eligible benefits provided to NIHB clients. You do not have to submit benefit claims, as the provider does this on your behalf.
- If your provider does not bill NIHB directly, you will be required to pay the provider up front and submit a request to NIHB for reimbursement of eligible benefits.
- If benefits are covered by another health benefit program or plan, such as an employer-sponsored benefit plan, claims should be submitted to the other plan first.
- If there has been a change in your coverage through another benefit plan, contact the NIHB Call Centre at Express Scripts Canada to update your file.
To submit a client reimbursement request:
- find out about specific criteria or limitations on benefits and services under the NIHB program
- contact the NIHB program to verify benefit coverage and reimbursement rates before making a purchase or receiving a service
- for medical transportation benefits:
- visit the ISC (Indigenous Services Canada) Forms by category webpage
- select the "Client Reimbursement Request for Medical Transportation" form
- print and complete the form and send it in to your NIHB regional office
- for all other benefits:
- go to the NIHB Client Reimbursement webpage on the Express Scripts Canada NIHB provider and client website
- follow the instructions to print and mail the NIHB client reimbursement and direct deposit forms which are located at the bottom of the page
- you can submit your claim online when you set up a secure web account with Express Scripts Canada
- go to the Create Account webpage on the Express Scripts Canada NIHB provider and client website
If you have questions or need a printed copy of the NIHB client reimbursement forms:
- contact your NIHB regional office
If your NIHB medical transportation or other benefits are managed by a First Nations or Inuit community, government, organization or regional health authority:
- these client reimbursement requests are not processed by Express Scripts Canada or the NIHB Program
- contact your community health services or regional health authority to find out their process for reimbursement of benefits