Funding for First Nations to engage on First Nations regional post-secondary education models
Financial support to First Nations to develop long-term, First Nations regional post-secondary education models.
Respecting the principle of First Nations control of First Nations education, Budget 2019 is investing $7.5 million over 3 years, beginning in fiscal year 2019 to 2020, for the Engagement Towards the Development of First Nations Regional Post-Secondary Education Models Program. The program is delivered under the First Nations Post-Secondary Education Strategy.
A call for work plans is taking place in fiscal year 2021 to 2022. Please contact your Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) regional office for the opening dates of the call and for more details.
On this page
About the program
This program supports First Nations in their development of comprehensive, integrated, First Nations regional post-secondary education models that will be accessible to all status First Nations people (registered Indians).
These may include treaty-based, self-government or regional models to enable First Nations control of First Nations education. Models may include funding to support:
- First Nations institutes
- adult education and facilities
- community-based programming
Eligible expenditures include all activities related to the engagement and development of First Nations regional post-secondary education models, including:
- delivering information sessions
- conducting research and consultations
- discussion tables
- service mapping
- identifying the roles and responsibilities of First Nations and First Nations-designated or directed organizations in the model
Who can apply
- Band councils of recognized First Nations bands
- Organizations designated by band councils, such as:
- bands or settlements
- tribal councils
- education organizations, political or treaty organizations engaged by, or on behalf of, First Nations
- Self-governing First Nations in Yukon that have not yet assumed responsibility for post-secondary education through a programs and services transfer agreement or through the terms of their self-government agreement
A call for work plans will take place in fiscal year 2021 to 2022. Please contact your ISC regional office for the opening dates of the call and for more details.
How to apply
Interested applicants should contact their ISC regional office.
For more information, consult the Engagement Towards the Development of First Nations Regional Post-Secondary Education Models: National Guidelines 2021 to 2022.