First Nations education transformation
The Government of Canada is committed to establishing a new partnership on First Nations elementary and secondary education.
Choose a topic
Current systems of First Nations education in Canada
Respecting the principle of First Nations control of First Nations education, First Nations and organizations designated by First Nations are responsible for managing and delivering education programs and services for students who are ordinarily living on reserve. Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) provides funding for students who ordinarily live on reserve, are 4 to 21 years of age,or the age range for elementary and secondary education support in the province of residence and are enrolled in and attending an eligible elementary or secondary program.
Find out more
What we have heard in the past
Over the years, discussions on education with First Nations have pointed to a number of key issues:
- First Nations control of education, and sufficient and predictable funding, are fundamental to creating education systems that promote the success of First Nations students
- language and culture are critically important for the successful development, education and wellbeing of First Nations students
- communities want to build First Nations' capacity to establish educational institutions that will deliver quality, culturally appropriate programs and services for children
- First Nations want supports similar to those available to children who attend school off reserve
Timeline of reports and recommendations
Consult the reports on First Nations education since 1972 to learn more about past research and recommendations that will inform the way forward, as the Government of Canada works collaboratively with First Nations to ensure that all students receive a quality education.
- Indian Control of Indian Education by the National Indian Brotherhood/Assembly of First Nations (1972) - PDF Format - (94.49 Kb, 45 pages)
- Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples (1996)
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (2007) – PDF Format – (166 Mb, 18 pages)
- First Nations Control of First Nations Education: It's our Vision, It's our Time by the Assembly of First Nations (2010) - PDF Format - (9.55 Mb, 51 pages)
- 2011 June Status Report of the Auditor General of Canada to the House of Commons – Chapter 4: Programs for First Nations on Reserves (2011)
- Reforming First Nations Education: From Crisis to Hope by the Standing Senate Committee on Aboriginal Peoples (2011) - PDF Format - (1.94 Mb, 81 pages)
- Archived: The Report of the National Panel on First Nation Elementary and Secondary Education for Students on Reserve (2011)
- Working Together for First Nation Students: A Proposal for a Bill on First Nation Education by the Government of Canada (2013)
- Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (2015)
Thank you for your feedback