Indian status

Find out more about Indian status and status card applications, the Indian Register, band membership, estates, band moneys and treaty annuity payments.

Status cards past the renewal date

Since April 2020, Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) has extended the validity date of status cards and Temporary Confirmation of Registration Documents due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This extension will end on May 1, 2022.

Service hours update

To help reduce the spread of COVID-19, in-person services for Indian status and secure status card applications at some of our offices may be closed depending on the public health guidance in your province or territory.

Registered persons who have been evacuated and don't have a status card

Contact Public enquiries to obtain proof of registration. You will be asked a series of questions to validate your identity and, once confirmed, proof of registration will be sent to you.

Services and information

Are you eligible for Indian status

Find out if you are eligible to register and how to apply.

Are you applying for a status card

Find out how to apply for a status card and about processing time.

What is Indian status

Find out more about Indian status and the Indian Register.

Treaty annuity payments

Find out about treaty annuity payments paid annually to First Nations peoples entitled to receive annuities as a result of their bands signing certain historic treaties with the Crown.

Trust moneys

Find out how First Nations can manage their band moneys and about ISC's responsibility to manage moneys held in trust for First Nations.

Are you crossing the Canada-U.S. border with a status card

Find out which status cards can be used to cross the Canada-U.S. border if you are registered under the Indian Act.

Estate services for First Nations

Find out what services are available to help manage the affairs of a minor, a dependent adult or a deceased family member or friend who usually lives or lived on a reserve.

How to update the Indian Register

Find out how to report an event or amend an entry.

Are you an Indian Registration Administrator

Find out how to maintain the Indian Register.

About band membership and how to transfer to or create a band

Find out about band membership and how to transfer to, create, divide or merge a band.

Are you a service provider

Find out what you need to know about status cards and the Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document.

Matrimonial real property on reserve

Find out what rights and protections are available after the end of a marriage, common-law relationship or death of a spouse or common-law partner.

About the Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document

Find out what you need to know about the Temporary confirmation of Registration Document.

Collaborative Process on Indian Registration, Band Membership and First Nation Citizenship: Engagement

Find out how the Government of Canada is consulting on Indian registration, band membership and First Nations citizenship.

Date modified: