How to update the Indian Register?

Find out how to report an event or amend an entry.

On this page

How do you report a birth in the Indian Register?

When registering a birth:

Births can be entered at any Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) regional office, as well as at some band offices. Your band office's Indian Registration Administrator can also help you get and complete the necessary forms.

How do you report the death of a registered family member?

It is important that the information in the Indian Register be correct and up to date.

Make sure to report the death of a registered family member to INAC by:

Step 1: Providing any of these following documents:

If available, also provide the deceased family member's status card when reporting the death.

Step 2: Submitting the document(s) to your INAC regional office or your local band office, or by mailing the package to:

Office of the Indian Registrar
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
10 rue Wellington
Gatineau QC  K1A 0H4

Visit What should I do when a family member or friend dies to learn more about the steps INAC will take to help determine who will manage the property and personal possessions of the deceased person and how the process will be handled.

What can you request from the Indian Registrar? 

Access to the Indian Registration System is limited to INAC employees responsible for the Indian Register and some band employees acting on behalf of the Indian Registrar in maintaining the register.

The Indian Registration System records the names of all Status Indians. Information in the system is updated regularly to show any changes that occur in a person's lifetime, such as marriages, births, band transfers, divorces, deaths and name changes.

Contact INAC Public Enquiries or your band office for how to request information from the system.

Related links

Date modified: